If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Friday, February 27, 2015

Darlene Pineda

via Facebook... So when you're in a "support group" for people with a rather miserable chronic, painful, and usually fatal disease and someone recently diagnosed admits not quiting smoking yet and gets "well if you aren't going to help yourself I don't know how you can even ask doctors to try and fix you" and "quitting is so easy I did it after x years" and "why are you killing yourself?" And then I explain that shaming and policing are pretty much the opposite of support and the thread is elebenty hundred posts long until finally I assign homework. Homework: Look up the words and concepts Autonomy and Agency. Write an essay explaining how they relate to a person's basic need to control their life and why respect for these two concepts is at the heart of any support group. Come back and explain your findings. Because I didn't have a sock of nickels handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment