If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Darlene Pineda

via Facebook... I am so angry. So full of rage. And yet I'm not being arrested and likely my son will never be harassed or shot on the street with his hands in the air. I am so sad, and I feel so powerless. But really, I have the privilege of not having to explain to my child how to not get shot. How to talk to a cop for being pulled over, again, for having the audacity of driving while black. I don't know what to do. Drive to Ferguson and be a witness? Get gassed and arrested? Stay here and post angry Facebook statuses? How do I use all the privilege and power I have to make sure no more children die in the streets? And if this is the anger and grief I feel, what do those in Ferguson feel? I can't imagine that much pain. That much grief. This has to stop. We have to all stand up and say that this stops here. Now. That we will not let this be the legacy we leave for our children. We must never just be bystanders. We need to fix this. And it starts with us. And ends with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment