If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Darlene Pineda

via Facebook... " While Airbnb might not be the root cause of inequality and gentrification, they are enabling behavior by property owners and investors which directly impacts the housing supply for regular New Yorkers (in a city with a very high percentage of renters). This includes not only renting rooms and apartments to tourists that have historically been rented to residents, but also includes buying and renovating real estate just for the purpose of renting to tourists. Some of the intersections of Airbnb with gentrification are profound. Desirable properties close to Manhattan in under-priced neighborhoods are attractive to both tourists and gentrifiers. I noticed the large number of listings in gentrifying neighborhoods like Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Crown Heights and Bushwick."

No comments:

Post a Comment