If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Darlene Pineda

via Facebook... " It’s important. People, particularly abled people, try to separate disabled people from our disabilities a lot. For example, if you tell me (like many abled people have) “You’re not your autism!, ”“You’re not autistic, you’re a person!” or “Don’t think of yourself as disabled” you’re separating me from my disabilities. The same is true of “I don’t really think of you as disabled,” “Don’t let your disabilities become your identity,” “You’re a person with autism, not an autistic person,” and “Your disabilities don’t define you!” When you say those things, you probably mean well. I know that. You probably think you’re being kind. Maybe you think you’re being encouraging. To put it bluntly, you’re not."

No comments:

Post a Comment