If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Monday, June 6, 2011

Fishing for gall bladders

In the mail today, an ad for Carolina Surgical:

"Over 48 years of experience with -plasties, -ectomies, -oscopies, and -opsies."

Am I supposed to be sitting in my living room, flipping through my mail, and glance at the card and suddenly think, "OMG! I've been wanting a spleenectomy or a liver biopsy, but neither I nor my doctor had any idea of where I could have such a procedure. Now, I feel safe placing my life in the hands of these people, smiling up at me on this advertising postcard!"

Oh, wait, upon further reading, it says "almost 50 years of combined experience." So, if we have 4 surgeons that means one could have 20 years, one 10, and the other two 5ish? Or ten years each?

I seem too get these glossy cards from three main sources: churches, auto/tire repair shops, and medical practioners. Three groups I would think would be most likely to do best by to by word-of-mouth.

On the plus side, if I ever do just decide I've put off that double mastectomy or hernia operation long enough, I have a number to call...

No comments:

Post a Comment