If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Monday, July 25, 2011

Safe Playgrounds

So I was reading this post about playgrounds being too safe and all I could think of was the very unsafe, free range, happy childhood I had.

As someone who played tag on the roof of her house, climbed trees and rocks, and very often had three kids piled onto one bicycle (one on the handlebars, one on the seat, and one standing to pedal and steer) if there isn't a risk of hurt it's just not that much fun. What's the point? And what happens when there is real risk--like driving a car. How will our kids have any perspective of genuine risk assessment when they've never taken one?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment