If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Monday, August 22, 2011

Article: A Forced Eugenics Survivor Speaks Her Truth

"When North Carolina's Eugenics program ended in 1974 more than 7,600 people were sterilized.  North Carolina had one of the most coercive eugenics program sterilizing people for "epilepsy, sickness and feeblemindedness."  Though the aforementioned were the stated reasons they also sterilized for promiscuity, homosexuality and so-called criminal intentions. "

They were doing this DURING MY LIFETIME. My current state was, during my lifetime, sterilizing people WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION. 

While there isn't enough money in the world to somehow make this right, I hope NC stands up and does something to atone for this violation.

Please read the article. While it is heartbreaking it also serves as a reminder of why the State--or anyone else-- cannot have the right to determine who can be a parent.



No comments:

Post a Comment