If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you; I came to live out loud.

~ Emile Zola

Friday, May 16, 2014

Darlene Pineda

via Facebook... So...on allyship and general "BUT YOU MUST LISTEN TO ME OR MY FEELINGS GET HURT" bullshit... Here is the thing...If your allyship is conditioned on needing your voice to be heard? Good bye. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You aren't really an ally, you have your own agenda and are demanding that I meet your expectations. You are trying to hold hostage my equality to your demands of privilege. And that? It's actually oppression in sheep's clothing. "I think you should make a right here and take the bypass." "Thanks, but I have a route I prefer." "No, you really need to listen to me and follow the directions I'm giving you." "Thanks, but I really would rather go this way." "You need to listen to me." "Look, this is my car, I'm driving, and we are going to my party. I'm pretty sure I can get there without your advice, but thanks for chipping in for gas and keeping me company." "WHY ARE YOU OPPRESSING ME! How dare you get mad when I invited myself along to your party! If you want my gas money you better follow my directions, or I won't even go with you. And then what will you do?" _______________________ That is the conversation. Me? I pull over and let you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment